From: "Jack Iafret" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Soaring Air Age" <Soaring@airage.com>
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2006 8:46 PM
Subject: [RCSE] F5J or X5J Contest - August 19-20

Having decided that electric launched sailplanes are still sailplanes (same
as HL, winch launch, hand tow), we the Greater Detroit Soaring and Hiking
Society have decided to have a contest this year to try out this format.
Basically it is an F3J format with electric motor power rather than people
power and you can read the rules etc on our web site at www.gdshs.com under
the "F5J Contest" button on the navigation bar.

I put this out on the RCGROUPS (electric sailplane forum) a month ago and
got a lot of positive feedback from the NEAC fokes. This first year will no
doubt be a learning experience for us as our normal fair is open winch TD
because of past field limitations making a 5 or 6 up MOM difficult. This
spring the park has opened up our field and a 5 or 6 up MOM with electrics
should be fine.

I wanted to get this out to the contest sailplane contigent that may be
interested so they can see if it fits in their schedule. Hope some of you
can make it to help us get a handle on this new event and if I am correct
(unlike Gordy, I was wrong once) this format and launch system is going to
be a big boost for the sailplane community. We now do impromptu MOM duels
that would never happen with one winch out. No one has to run the retriever
and we use a count down tape in a boom box for a timer so timers are not
needed (not super accurate but good enough for fun)---great when sport
flying.

We (the club) got a lot more flying in this winter because none of us would
put up a winch in the snow and we could also fly at several different fields
that could not sustain winch line length. Now that spring has spung the
winch is coming out more, but not much.

What to fly? We fly a lot of small stuff (about 2 meters) but I have a
Graphite II electric and a Super AVA coming for electric so size, and
performance is not an issue. Check www.kennedycomposites.com and
www.nfmodels.com for examples.

I am a dealer for both of these fine guys in my area as Barry has the big
stuff and Kurt the little stuff and that way the field is covered. Kurt got
me going on this last year and I am hooked.

Sorry I took so long, but I got wound up about this.

--
Jack Iafret
Home and Hobbies