At 07:23 PM 6/30/2006, Bill & Bunny Kuhlman wrote:

My first RC glider was an Ecktronics Nomad, a Ted Strader design, which used a Citizenship LT-3 receiver and a Bonner escapement, with a C&G Venus tube transmitter. Despite being rudder only, I managed to successfully slope soar it many times. This was around 1962.

This was my first successful kit sailplane, also. The .020 took it out of harms way before I had to give it a control. I had the Shows pulser on my Citizenship transmitter (27.255) and used the Mighty Midget motor to drive the rudder, switching circuit from American Modeler Magazine. I was using a Ace K3VK receiver by then because I wiped out all of my previous receivers (I had several unsuccessful attempts before that.) My first successful sailplane was a scaled plane from Model Airplane News describing Frank Bethwaite's world record.

My first (not successful) R/C sailplane was a converted Jasco Floater. I never could get the "Lorentz-like" receiver to work without engine vibration. The "radio" was the Airtrol box sold by AHC: $9.95 plus parts. I learned that salt water does a job on electronics with a 45 volt battery to provide current flow. Several other semi-successful sailplanes came along, using the LT-3 with SE2 compound escapement, the until I realized that others were flying just up the street at the Torrey Pines glider-port.

The transition to proportional control (JR Century 7 system) roughly two decades later was relatively smooth.

Transition to full Propo was when the AMA got 72 MHz from the FCC (1967). It was the Bonner 4RS (red/white) mounted in a Graupner Foka 4 bleach-bottle-fuselage sloper.

-Fritz