Hi Robert,

The full scale pilot was reading his altimeter which was reading MSL (Mean
Sea Level) So whatever the altitude he was reading minus your field
elevation was the altitude of the sailplane.

Last year at the SW Classic I did a couple of fly-overs in my RV7. The
lowest was about 500' the highest was about 1500. At 1500' the planes
sitting on the ground were tough to see.

Interestingly, many years ago at our old field in Gilbert AZ we did some
experimenting to see just how far down range we get. I was flying my Psyko
and got as far away as I could and still maintain orientation. A crew on the
ground drove to the area and measured just under a mile away. I was very
surprised but it was a real test with real numbers.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ