I may be wrong (probably am), but perhaps some of the unease in the world could
be mitigated by one little change in the LSF rules, without changing any tasks
at all.

The rules say: "requirements for the subsequent Levels may be achieved any time
after the previous Level form has been postmarked..."

So you can't get credit for Level III, IV or V tasks until everything in Level
II is done and sent off, etc.

Now just maybe if you relaxed this requirement, it might make some of the LSF
dissidents happier. If a guy wanted to fly only thermal, for example, he could
fly all his thermal tasks right up to the two-hour, and he could say, "Well, I
have done the thermal requirements for Level V." Then maybe he'd be motivated
to do some of the slope tasks, or the XC, or the contests or whatever.

The LSF could even give out separate little stickers for thermal, slope, XC,
and contests.

This changes things very little, yet it addresses quite a few of the specific
issues that have been raised on this thread.

Now I've made my one and only comment, and I will now shut up.