I didnt see the age chart you guys are talking about. But Im trying to figure out if Im an old guy or a young guy in soaring at 49 years old? Richard

----- Original Message ----- From: "tony estep" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <Soaring@airage.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 10:06 AM
Subject: Re: [RCSE] Muncie - Soaring Masters Final Scores

---Original message---
From: Tom Broeski <tom@inventorforhire.com>

Look at the age range of the flyoffs. Pretty wide. The old guys can't say
it's a young man's sport and the young can't say it's an old guy's sport.

Well, speaking as the oldest contestant (I think), I have to say that all of the flyoff participants, old and young, flew farther away than I could see.

I can also say that at a certain point in your life, your timing in the launch process starts to get less accurate. That doesn't matter much in benign conditions, but it turned out to matter quite a lot in the strong and gusty conditions. Moreover, when your visual acuity isn't as good as it ought to be, you can't pick up the little changes in the plane's attitude and behavior that you need to see in order to surf in the kind of air we had.

Actually, although the conditions were sometimes unpleasant, they were perfect for spreading the field and selecting the real masters. Young or old, those who scored well did it by outstandingly skillful flying.