Mark, and gang,

This is not a new problem. Line breaks at contests due to ships getting
larger and winches more powerful have been a worsening problem for the
past few years. (Insert redneck twang here) "This is America. We love
horsepower!!!!" It's nice to see some clubs and individuals being
proactive and searching out a real solution as opposed to the "you break
it, you fly it mentality." (I've been breaking lines while tapping and
about 50 to 75 lbs of tension - educated guess) Reducing line size
creates a weak link of its own. Stronger line, and the model becomes the
weak link. Anyone see Joe blow up his "unbreakable" model at the
Masters?

As a budding manufacturer, coming out with a rather large model, it'll
be very nice if winch strength could become to be more standardized, so
I'll know how strong I have to build these things, without just throwing
all sorts of unnecessary weight at them. I'm not naive enough to believe
that all clubs will follow a standard, but as I travel across the states
to compete, I'd like to know there is some form of generally accepted
standard to build and practice to. I shouldn't have to build a model
twice as strong to compete in Muncie, as opposed to Visalia.

One other note that hasn't really been addressed. As a competitor who's
fairly skilled at this launch thing, less power creates more of an
advantage. Horsepower is the great equalizer, allowing guys with less
skill, less finesse, and more poorly set up models to get close to the
same launch height.

Again - no-one is talking about radically reducing winch strength, just
some form of acceptable standard, and matching the winch to the line
strength.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a good flight!!!

Darylperkins.com LLC.
1600 McCulloch Blvd. 5B
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403

www.darylperkins.com