Mike,

I¹m the ³people² here, but I¹m just following the sage advice of those who
have gone before us.  Chuck¹s testament:

"After a few years, we began receiving complaints about not being able
to zoom so in order to satisfy those who came to zoom instead of
thermal, we added a bypass switch.  If the contestant chose to bypass
the tension limiter, NO RELAUNCHES were permitted for broken tow
lines.  A few people had trouble taping the peddle while the tension
limiter was cycling.  These fliers could usually get better launches
by putting the metal to the metal and letting the tension limiter do
the tapping.  Fliers with Oly II's and similar models didn't notice
any difference from normal winches.

We finally got tired of listening to complaints about not being able
to get good zooms so discontinued using the tension limiter and went
to heavier towlines.  The original tension limiter base is still
rusting in the weeds behind my shed in the woods behind my house."

I¹m going to launch and adjust to whatever set up the good people running
the Southwest come up with.  The last thing I want to do is make any
decision harder for them.  The problem last year was line breaks, and they
had lots of new line.  We¹ve been finding that the Memphis Twine batches
recently have had thin spots.  Once these are cut out you get some long
runs.

The guys are going to elevate the turnaround and winch, which should make
things more powerful, and less susceptible to nicks from the ground.  I¹m
sure they will come up with a balanced solution.  My point is if the winches
become too soft there will undoubtedly be some grumblings, just like there
are if there are too many line breaks.  It¹s tough hosting a contest!

I think the idea of flying off F3B winches is great but there are several
issues that come up:

1. Retriever set up for a large contest?
2. Inventory of average club
3. Cost of mono; having different diameter for different wind conditions

The plus side is that it is a regulated amount of torque and airplane
designers can use that for design parameters.  And it¹s International.

JE
--
Erickson Architects
John R. Erickson, AIA