On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 10:31:59AM -0500, Anker Berg-Sonne wrote:

> There are so many ways launches can go wrong that your proposed device may
> save you from one problem, but the others will be sure to bite you instead.

Not only that, but if your plane is ever tilted at that angle as you
carry it to or put it into your car, it may turn itself on when you
don't expect it, leading to a dead (or worse -- _almost_ dead) battery
when you're actually ready to fly.

Or it may turn itself on and do damage as the servos glitch because
the TX isn't on.

Perhaps you could design around this, but then perhaps not all
launches would trigger it, if you make it *too* picky?

Just wiggle your sticks a little before you launch.  (For bonus
points, make sure the sticks do the right thing on the plane, every
flight!)  If it costs a pilot a Gentle Lady to learn this lesson, then
they got off cheap!  (If it costs them a Pike, well, ouch, but they'll
probably remember!)

Personally, I've never done it with a glider, but I did do it with a
nitro R/C car once.  Chasing a R/C car doing donuts at 30 mph in your
front yard = fun!  All that was lacking was the Benny Hill music!
Fortunately, the curb finally intervened to stop the car (and rip out
half the screws and bolts in the car in the process ...)

If you do decide to make this device, I'd suggest at least adding an
audible alarm that goes off when the plane is turned on by it, that
runs until the plane is turned on in the proper way (or the battery
dies, of course.)  That way, people will know that they forgot (and
that your device just saved their plane!) when it activates when
needed, and they'll know that they need to go turn the plane off again
if it activates accidently.

--
Doug McLaren, [EMAIL PROTECTED]                      Gone crazy - back later!