Gordy, you have a good point. The reason I posted on RCGroups is because I
could attach the pictures. Here, for everyone else, is the data I collected
today.

"I flew a 2.4 friendly Supra in Phoenix and it worked great. Now I wanted to
convert my Pike Perfect but without going to the expense of ordering another
new fuselage. I don't really like the "whiskers" on the Spektrum system but
there is probably no way around it with all the carbon on the Perfect. I did
want to minimize the number of holes I had to drill in a perfectly good,
fairly new plane.

I molded a fiberglass canopy and mounted the remote receiver in the upper
part of the canopy with the whiskers sticking out horizontally. I will have
to plug in each time I fly but that won’t be a big deal. I just cut the wire
that comes with the receiver and put a servo connector in the circuit. I
mounted the main receiver in the normal Perfect location with the antenna
that runs parallel to the long edge of the receiver (antenna B per a data
logger) toward to top and rear so it runs inside the fiberglass canopy. On
the second main receiver (A) I shrink wrapped another wire to the original
that extends the length 62 mm (There are some threads on RCGroups that show
this technique). I then ran this antenna vertically out the top of the
canopy. The attached pictures show the installation.

Today I got in 4 flights (3 with the data logger attached). The flights were
all in the 5 to 8 minute range and I never experienced any visible problem.
The data logger results were as follows. For receiver A (the one running out
from the canopy vertically) I experienced and average of 154 fades (ranging
from 255 to 32). For receiver B (running parallel to the fuselage inside the
canopy) I experienced an average of 488 fades (ranging from 163 to 977). The
remote receiver experienced an average of 135 fades ranging from 52 to 286.
In the 3 instrumented flights I experienced an average of 161 frame losses
ranging from 55 to 269. I had 2 holds on one flight and none on the others.

This is not as good as JR recommends. I think the main problem area was when
the plane was at a distance going away at shallow angles. In this case
receiver B would be totally invisible because of the carbon in the fuselage
and wing. The antennas for receiver A and the remote could also experience
intermittent shielding. My next move will be to run the antenna from
receiver B out the top of the canopy and receiver A out of the bottom side
of the fuselage (that will be one hole in my new Pike).

I won't be able to do this until next week because of business travel but
will report the results when I get them. I think I will also put the logger
in my Supra and see how it does."

I would like to hear any feedback you all have on this, especially If you
are successfully using a JR/Spektrum in a carbon Pike. Thanks.

Bruce T.