"Unfortunate vertical arrival" . AKA "DORK"?  Rick you certainly have a way
with words.

____

Kurt

From: Rick Eckel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2008 1:26 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Soaring@airage.com
Subject: Re: [RCSE] "YOU can break Carbon rod for stab axles"

Its not so much how hard it is to break the rod when its in good condition.
It's plenty strong.  Its knowing when the strength has been compromised with
cracking after a few dork landings or an unfortunate vertical arrival.
They become very easy to break once they have a crack starting to develop.

Each pilot is going to have to decide the issue for himself.  For me, if
they're not at least 1/4" in diameter I'd rather use steel.  The nose weight
is not a consideration.  I won't use a center wing rod of carbon in any
case.

Rick