Hi Guys,

Fate put me in the area and  I made my way there...I really didn't  expect to
be there, have a plane to fly or to have the guys let me play!

The weather was fantastic for a big dog pilot contest.  Lift, sun,  some wind
and really fun tasks.

Ron Shark and his team work their tails off, doing all they can to keep
things moving...the trademark of DLG contests.  This was a new challenge  but
it
was met with smiles by all.

I am NOT a DLG pilot, I do enjoy it...a lot but my schedule doesn't allow  me
to participate in it.  Easily the most challenging of the disciplines,  so
very man on man, the tiniest thumb mistakes are blatantly visible to  all.
Patience, intuition, practice and model set up are soo critical,  especially in
crowd of artist/athletes as attend this event.

Brazil and New Zealand showed with teams of great guys and great
pilots...everyone supporting each other, cheering on not just one pilot but all
 cheering
whom ever does well and consoling those who meet with less luck.

There were plenty of 2.4 systems working just fine by the way. Not sure if
there was any brands other than JR/Spektrum systems.

The format was based on rounds to determine who would fly the finals.   Then
the scores would be reset for those pilots who made the fly off  round.....

The fly off round was really fun!  Each round would end when the first  pilot
landed.  He would be executed and another round flown....3 min  tasks.  A
horn would announce the mass launches.

In the end there can only be one....I was lucky enough to make it to the  fly
off rounds....but as a 'DLG pretender"  my lack of skill, strength and
practice became exposed in short order....

Those serious DLG pilots went on battle after battle, pilots dropping out
round by round....the last two rounds still to fly...and the sun was set on the

horizon....and by the time Oleg and Paul Anderson hand done all they could to
 out last each other....the sun was behind the hills.

Talk about a spectator sport!
Mike Smith
Bruce Davidson
Kevin from NZ
Adam Weston
Larry Jolly
Phil Barnes
So many fantastic pilots, who really put their minds and bodies fully into
the hobby...each one sensing the smallest bit of energy to keep their models
flying....searching, moving, shifting...finally to return home for another
duel.

Huge thanks to Craig Allen for trusting me to protect his model through the
event and for his excellent calling/timing to help me do a credible job and to
 keep me out of the serous guys way..

Two nites of lots of BBQ Ribs...and a Corona or two..too :-).

And George Joy to guard the no fly zones for almost 8 straight hours!
Thanks for you work George...we all knew you'd rather have been flying!

As a treat to us big bird pilots, Mike Smith brought out his new F3B
ship...it has molded in RADs pockets..and the fuse and wing has a transparent
dark
blue finish that actually glows  with the carbon cloth looking like  woven
silver mesh under.

Good luck to all combatants today and tomorrow.... I don't think I  have ever
seen the Oleg more focus'd, or Paul Anderson more determined...but  with so
many talented and practiced world class pilots I can't put either in a  sure
thing category with Big Brown this weekend.

Gordy
Bakersfield to Denver today, Home tomorrow...and my new High End

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.