Or you could have posted me directly to discuss it such a fun topic  :-)
Its been quite a while since I wrote that article which is more a review  of
the programmable altitude priority motor cut off switch....but I play this
game :-)

The context of the article is replacing winch launches...Field are
disappearing, guys are getting a bit weary of hauling winch batteries and
chasing
chute and pounding turnarounds....so if the day came when it made sense  to
bother
to load up the nose of a nice quiet sailplane with a motor and  batteries to
replace winch launches....and as I state in the article that "if  sailplaners
didn't need a radio we'd get rid of them, we sure as heck don't want  to
bother with motors controllers etc.

One more time because I know that motor heads who have found a sailplane
will fit motors will want to go off on how what they do is good (and it IS by
the way) but that has nothing to do with the context of the article...replacing

winch launches with electric motor launches.

So with a programmable altitude shut off switch, TD pilots could have  the
smallest and cheapest possible motor/prop/gearbox/controller/ battery,  versus
electric sailplane events where the motor  package is priority.
Currently (no pun) electric sailplane competitors calculate, study, and
spend to get the ultimate motor power in the time allotted.  3,000' ?   2,000'
climbs (not launches) on a motor run is not the 'unusual' for some
classes....you see its not electric launched sailplanes, its in your own words
electric
sailplanes...in fact electric powered airplanes with big wings.

Not once did I mention that your soaring events should change,  be limited,
or pay any attention to my mindless ramblings....all 10 of you in  the country
participate should definitely continue to power up as you  please.

BUT those of us who will never want to willing put a motor in our
sailplanes, but might have to in order to fly contests due to no room to string
 winches
would still have the same events (well maybe minus dorking, but again
considering we could use almost throw away cheap motors, just strong  enough to
get
us all up to normal winch height (okay most of you fell asleep at  this
point...normal winch height cuz in this future scenario there isn't  room for
winches any more)...get us lazily up to normal winch height three times  (you
know
in case there is a mis start or a fuse pop's off :-)

When I wrote that piece some of us put down a buck as to how many electric
powered glider guys would freak seeing as an attack on their power  kingdom...

No worries Bob...power up to any altitude your want, 4,000' 5000' if you  can
see it in 5 seconds of motor run...for as many years ahead as you'd  like....

Someday, likely the year 2424, and all the open space is finally filled  with
soccer goals...and us guys who want to fly with out motors will have to put
a cheap, weak piece of crap in our sailplanes noses in order to fly...but the
cool thing will be, it will really be man on man.  We'll hobble up to the  CD
tent, plug in our Zlog Altimeter motor shutoff setting every one to the same
height...per the CD discretion and we'll launch...all together....no
different  that having pre-measured high starts for DLG contests.  Cheap,
small,
disposable...but mostly lite...so that when the motor shuts off, we are back to

the same weight we were flight with using only a tow hook.

Enjoy your powered 'sailplanes'.  No threat to them here!
Gordy

In a message dated 6/27/2008 7:05:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,