Dan, I built my first DLG (an ArtHobby kit) two years ago, trying to
save a few bucks and not knowing how I would like tossing gliders and
flying them.  I beat it up pretty badly learning to launch, fly and
catch one of these DLGs.  I had some good flights, some lasting 7-8
minutes, which I was thrilled with.  I have recently build a Sidewinder
II (www.polecataero.com).  My build weighed 10.1 oz. more than three oz.
less than my first DLG.  It is in another league altogther.  It launches
higher with less effort, floats better, signals lift better, is way more
responsive and more fun to fly.  The big dihedral at 6.5"  makes
ruddering easy, and I use the flaperons to tune the camber into the
immediate flying conditions.  The flaperons make a big differennce.
With a poly ship, flying is simpler with no camber control other than
elevator trim and CG.  Maybe you want simple for now, but if you are a
tinkerer, and fly more complex ships, you will really appreciate it.
Yeah, it costs more than a balsa kit, but one glider costs less than
two!

Just my two cents,
Jeff C.
A happy Polecat customer