>Denny Wrote:

> John Roe says he's getting 100 feet!!!!

No one has ever measured my throw, so no one...
*including myself*... has said how much I'm getting,
on this exchange or anywhere else, ever.

Here's some good stuff!

After carefully verifying the accuracy of two different
laser range finders, which are certified by the manufacturer
(Bushnell) to be accurate to within +- one meter, or better, we
found that accuracy was reliable at ranges from 15 to 200
meters, on large and small stationary and moving targets.

I measured the launch heights of apprx. 20 competitors at the
recent IHLGF at Poway, both in practice and in competition,
in the wind and in relatively calm conditions.  I was able to get
very precise measurements by standing directly in the path of
the throw, then aiming directly overhead at the plane as it was
"pushed over" into level flight.
The results below are the result of this research, and are
provided to for all to enjoy, and might also be considered
carefully if you are thinking of getting a new plane, based on
where you fly and your athletic ability.

Under low-to-no wind conditions launch heights of 60+ feet were
common with the stronger javelin-style throwers, with 75 feet+ being
acheived by some.  There were some pilots who had trouble
getting more than 50 or so feet, but they were much in the minority.
The side arm plane "Uplink" thrown by it's manufacturer got
consistant 75 foot launches.   There were no launches below 45
feet by anyone who was trying to throw hard.

In the wind, the stronger pilots using the javelin-style throw were
able to consistantly launch 75+ feet.  There were perhaps 5 or 6 that
I verified were launching to 85 feet or more, consistantly.  The weakest
few pilots that I measured were able to launch 60-65 feet.
The same uplink thrown by the same gentleman- side arm style- was
reaching 90+ feet, a height that only a few javelin-style pilots could
beat.....but there were definitely at least three guys who could launch
just as high as the side-arm plane, every time.

Look to see some familiar conventionally-launched planes being
offered in a side-arm version, as it turns out that no span penalty
or much weight penalty is required to make a side-arm plane work.
For many people the side arm launch will be higher than they can
throw conventionally.  The disadvantages of the side-arm launch
will still be turn-around time (important only in competition) and
directional control, although that could be improved with practice.

As far as High-aspect ratio HL planes are concerned, I flew an
extreme example of one, the new Spectre VR by DJ aerotec.
I found it had very nice handling, a good sink-rate and was a joy
to fly in light lift and low-wind conditions.  In the wind it was OK, and
could get around the sky as well as all but the most advanced
planes on the field.

However, as Mark Navarre has previously noted, I could not launch
it hard, period.  In zero or near zero wind, I could still get an "average"
launch even with a low-effort throw.  In the wind however I was unable
to get anything like a typical launch, without fluttering the wings and/or
the tail.  I do think the plane has potential, and definitely am amazed
at the fact that a 5.5 ounce four-servo 60" plane is even possible.

Professor John Roe
Laguna Hills, Ca
www.martialartsacademy.org

"Natura non facit saltus"