So true and I will add to your point.

It is useful to think of the system more than just the individual
parts. Our system includes the pilot, plane, radio, timer, and
any other instruments/aids used. A ballanced system is probably
going to produce better results than one where parts are mismatched.

Beginers are better off with planes that have a lower workload.
Changing camber from cruise to thermalling to speeding across the
sky is likely to reduce the performance of most begining and intermediate
pilots. Choosing an airfoil that will work well without camber changing
lets these pilots concentrate more on finding and staying in up air.

Once a pilot is skilled enough that flying and thermalling is very nearly
automatic, the more complex plane may be helpfull as they now have the
ability to think about reconfiguring the plane, without loosing track of
the task at hand.

Now back to the system. Try to change only one part of the system at a time.
With each change, take time and effort to adjust and learn and get the best
performance out of the new setup. Then change something else.
Remember that with any change there is likely to be a learning curve so you
might sometimes seem to take a step backwards to take two forwards. This is
especially true of moving into a higher performance plane.

This also works as skills change. After flying a plane for a few months you
might find that you like it better with the CG more aft (or forward), you might
like it better with more (or less) elevator travel. Something as simple as a
different color on the wings may make a difference.

For some people, it may be an advantage to fly the older plane and take
advantage
of experience over flying a new, probably better but unfamiliar craft.

There are also big differences in the events you might want to fly.
A very wide range of planes can win in AMA TD as long as you can get them down
on the spot, but for F3B or F3F, you *must* have a plane that goes very fast.
To win a race you must have a real racing machine.

Remember, if you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.

michael N6CHV AMA 77292