At 05:28 PM 5/19/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>No, the Craft Air Windrifter did NOT use a standard Clark Y
>airfoil.
> I built and flew several of these in competition during the
>'70s. And didn't do too bad for a high school kid competing in
>the open class with all those BIG people. Took home the wood a
>few times. Oh well, back to the airfoil. It was a proprietary
>12.5% turbulated 'foil that is also used on the Sailaire. Flat
>bottomed yes, Clark Y - NO! It would climb like an helium angel,
>but when the wind came up it was like throwing out the anchor!!
>It was a great ship for earning your LSF Level 1 & 2 duration
>and precision. It was also good for the Level 2 contest points
>if you could still enter in the 'greenhorn' class!! We used 'em
>a lot for carrying things like cameras, FF HLG's, parachutes,
>etc. because a person can REALLY load this plane up with weight
>and it just doesn't seem to mind. As versatile as a Paragon, but
>cheaper. It was a better plane than the 2m Drifter for about the
>same amount of work to construct.
>
>I still have 2 NIB Windrifter kits that I have been hanging on
>to for reminiscing. I MIGHT possibly be persuaded to let go of
>one.
>
>Cap'n Crunchie
>
The Spica airfoil from SoarTech 8 is a good approximation of the airfoil
used on the Sailaire and Drifter.  In fact, it was based on the Sailaire
airfoil.  Back in 1978, I designed a trainer for my club.  I had just
finished a Sailaire and liked the way it flew.  I took the leading edge
radius, maximum thickness, location of maximum thickness, and trailing edge
angle of the Sailaire and faired the top surface with a #64 French curve.
Bottom surface was of course a straght line.  I built a wind tunnel model
of the resulting airfoil for inclusion in Michael Selig's first series of
wind tunnel test in the Princeton wind tunnel to provide a baseline airfoil
to compare with more modern airfoils.  Since it was so similar to many of
the kits being produced in California at the time, I called the airfoil a
Generic California Flat Bottom.  This tile was too long for the report so
the name was changed to Spica since that was the name of the model it was
first used on.  Coordinates for the Spica airfoil in COR format can be
found on page 145 of SoarTech 8.  Coordinates of the Spica airfoil in AIR
format are also included with Airfoil Plot and Model Design plotting programs.

Chuck Anderson
RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News.  Send "subscribe" and 
"unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to