Hi Fellow Slope Racers,

The Southern California Slope Racers are announcing a 2 Day MoM slope
race for Saturday & Sunday March 15-16 at Whitaker Peak, CA.  Two
classes:  Both 60" Composite & Unlimited on Saturday and pure
Unlimited action on Sunday!

  The Location is going to be Whitaker Peak, CA. Whitaker has been
the site of many slope races during the CSR days. Its long ridge
faces dead bang Southwest. There is plenty of room to run the
unlimited racers and plenty of pit area. The landing area is better
than Parker or Vincent, but worse than Banos. We will also have a
backup location close by to race at in case the wind is coming out of
the East. One good thing about Whitaker is that there is a nice
campground about a ¼ mile up the road. There are also motels,
restaurants and markets in nearby Castaic

  The 60" matrix will be set at 10:30AM, and the first race at
11:00AM. So if you are going to run the 60" class on Saturday you
need to arrive early. The Unlimited matrix will be fixed at 1:30PM,
racing start at 2:00PM. For Sunday, we will update the matrix at
11:00AM and race by noon.

  For information on how a MoM slope race is run and class rules you
can check out this link. http://www.sloperacing.com/Info/mom.htm

  This will generally work like the ISR held at Davenport CA, and
will be a great opportunity to tune up your plane and your thumb for
the ISR to be held in May.

  The entry fee is $5.00 for 60" and $10.00 for unlimited.

  If you plan on attending, please let me know. I need to know your
Name, AMA# (AMA required), Primary Freq. and Backup Freq. The sooner
that I have this information the better.

  Running a MoM is labor intensive and we can always use some extra
bodies to help run things. It's a great opportunity to see some big
fast sleds in some close racing. If you plan on working the race let
me know.

  Stay tuned to http://www.sloperacing.com/ for the latest
information.

Mike Sheridan
So. Cal. Slope Racers
Huntington Beach, CA USA
Cell# (714) 926-MIKE
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   Here are the directions to Whitaker.

  From the South:

  Take Interstate 5 North Exit on Templin Hwy (North of Castaic Lake
and South of Pyramid Lake), and make a left turn  on the stop sign
When the road comes to a dead end, make a right This road has two
lanes in each side, when the road turns into a one lane road ... keep
watching to your  left for a small signboard of Whitaker Peak Park
Make a left into the park, the road will fork immediately, make a
left, and always stay left on all forked roads while going up the
mountain After going up this gravel road for about 10 minutes, there
will be a clearing and the road will level out a bit and there will
be a dirt road to your left (this is where the road is blocked) ...
just follow the dirt road, and if anyone is flying, you will be able
to see planes in the air from this fork ...

   Here is a TopoZone map link that has the red X at the parking
spot. The coarse is on the ridge that runs SE from the parking area
to the knob. Looks like somebody made it with the prevailing winds
and slope racers in mind.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=11&n=3827125&e=343174&s=25&size=m

---------------

  Another thing to keep in mind is that you are supposed to have a
Forest Service pass. Information about the Adventure pass follows. I
found this information on the Forest Service web site.
http://www.r5.fs.fed.us/angeles/index.html BTW; It doesn't say how
much it will cost you if you get caught without a pas

Who needs to purchase a National Forest Adventure Pass?

   All Forest visitors are required to display the Pass in their
vehicles when parked for recreation purposes on these four southern
California National Forrests You won't need a Pass while parked at
places where a site-specific fee is already charged (such as ski
resorts or fee campgrounds.) You also don't need a Pass when you are
traveling through the Forest but not stopping, when you are parked at
your residence or at an organization camp in its permitted area, or
are in an area covered by a Special Use Permit.A Pass is not required
for people stopping for information at Ranger Stations, Visitor
Centers and other Forest Service offices, or for Off-Highway Vehicles
(green sticker.) Volunteers and educational institutions are exempt,
but require an Administrative Pass issued by a local Forest Service
office.

  How much does a Pass cost, and where may I get mine?

*       Daily Pass ---- $5.00

*       Annual Pass - $30.00 (good for one year from the month of
purchase)

--------------------

Check this link to find a place near you to purchase a pass.

http://www.r5.fs.fed.us/angeles/html/adventurepass/adventurepass.html

Or you can stop in Castaic on the way up to Whitaker Peak and pick a
pass at one of these places.

Castaic

 7-Eleven -- #26945 27680 Lake Hughes Rd .--* D A -- 91384 -- ph# 661-
257-0381

 Calver Co. -- 31642 Castaic Rd. --* D A -- 91384 -- ph# 661-257-2800

 Castaic Unocal 76 -- 31786 The Old Road --* D A -- 91384 -- ph# 661-
257-2497

 Gallion's Castaic Corner -- 31515 Old Ridge Route --* D A J --
91310 -- ph# 661-257-3523

 Jay's Shell - Castaic -- 31428 Old Ridge Route -- *D A -- 91384 --
ph# 661-257-5724

 Rainbow Market -- 31719 The Old Road -- *D A -- 91384 -- ph# 661-295-
0604

* D = Daily Pass

* A = Annual Pass

* J = Secondary Vehicle Pass - Hang Tag