Mark: (members)
This reply in no way represents my institution's view, expressed or otherwise,
etc!!!
*************************
The recent Emergency Response Guidebook:

Do no use water or foam.

Small Fires: Dry chemical, soda ash, lime or sand

Large Fires: DRY sand, dry chemical, soda ash, lime or withdraw from area and
let fire burn.
***************************

My added info!
I just did a demo in lecture with the alkali metals (Li, Na, K, Cs, Rb) in
water, neat, BUT.......!!!
Li reacts with water/moisture to produce heat, lithium hydroxide (similar to Lye
or Draino) and hydrogen gas. In the case of Na, K, Cs, RB, the heat produced is
sufficient to ignite the hydrogen produced. I am not aware of the energy
produce by lithium reaction with moisture to be enough to ignite the hydrogen
gas, but out on a hot dry field.  REMEMBER, hydrogen gas is only produced if
the lithium metal comes in contact with moisture/water.  The ammo box with a
bag of sand to throw in on top of the burning battery is a good idea. Do not
close the lid --- heat - pressure might be even more exciting.
The dry chemical fire extinguisher called “ABC Dry Chemical” is an excellent
device to have with you. Do not use a CO2!  My VW Vanagon came with this type
of fire extinguisher.
Hope this helps.
Jim Ealy

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:19:37, "Aerofoam" wrote:

> I have been using very large Li-poly batteries and
> am very aware of the potential for a serious
> melt down/lithium fire.
> My chemical knowledge is limited to being a connoisseur
> of fine solvents!
> The question is:
> Is there any chemical or element that would interfere or cancel
> the reaction of a lithium fire?
> My thought would be to make a charging box out of an ammo box
> and line it with more of this material than necessary to snuff the reaction.
> Sort of like control rods in a reactor.
> Is this possible????????
>
> Mark Mech
> www.aerofoam.com

"unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please note that
subscribe and unsubscribe messages must be sent in text only format with MIME
turned off.

Jim Ealy
Education by Demonstration