I received a call from out of the blue Sunday evening
that I thought I might share with you:

John Nielsen, one of the founding members of the
Chicago SOAR club, emcee of the many SOAR NATS
banquets and the man who decimated Schwinn Corp. each
year to bring adminitrative assistants (we called them
secretaries back then)to perform the scoring for the
SOAR NATS called me.

John is 79 years old, has lived all over the country,
had been flying some quarter scale (J-3 Cubs on
floats), took up and gave up full scale sailing on the
Great Lakes and is now renovating some of his original
sailplanes, two that he flew at the first
international soaring event held in Doylestown PA
before soaring was an official event in AMA OR FAI.

Seems John was surfing the web and came across the LSF
website (SilentFlight.org)and recognized my name as a
potential nominee for office, followed the links and
read my bio and decided to call.  John is interested
in rejoining AMA and SOAR once some pesky cataracts
are taken care of and he returns to Illinois from his
Florida winter compound in the Spring.  He even wanted
to find out what his original LSF number and level
were (both long forgotten) and he's interested in some
of the "woody" events Ray Hayes is promoting.

We spent over an hour talking about all the changes in
the sport since the early 70's, the mutual friends,
some passed on, some still active, and the 30 years
just melted away.

What a great sport that fosters relationships that
transcend generations like this.

=====
Tom (TK) Kallevang
Wheeling, IL