From: "Steve Siebenaler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [RCSE] 18 minute tasks...
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 17:34:03 -0400

Just so happens that I was CD at the CSS Pumpkin Fly last Sunday,
October 12th.  We fly "seeded" man-on-man and I called an 18 minute
round for the last round of our contest, which was our TURKEY SHOOT
round.  Conditions were breezy, but sunny, so pilots had to find
multiple thermals and many went way down wind to hook their first
thermal.  It was no "cakewalk" like some would surmise.  Not every pilot
got there time, and some landed a minute early after "specking out", as
they were trying to find the next thermal and all they found upwind was
big sink.  We even had a round where two pilots were "duking" it out at
50' with several minutes to go in the round.

Of course, those pilots who skillfully completed the soaring task made
it a "landing contest" to win a turkey.

That was definitely a test of soaring skills.  If conditions were really
easy, it would have been silly to call such a long task.  But when
conditions are challenging, long task times really test one's soaring
skills.

Steve Siebenaler
h <http://www.cincinnatisoaring.org> ttp://www.cincinnatisoaring.org
Cincinnati, Ohio  USA