Jon,

I have been to the same contests. In my mind, they are
landing contests, pure and simple. It's a given that
some guys are going to make their times just about
every time. They are participating in a landing
contest because that's all that separates them. Why,
then, have 100 point landings. Say these guys have a
not so hot day...it happens. Say that one of them
misses a time 59 seconds, but makes a 100 point
landing. Another makes his time but drags a tip and
the resulting ground loop makes for a 24 point
landing. Who won the round?  The guy that missed his
time. Why? Because he drug the other tip and the
resulting ground loop luckily brought his nose in the
right direction.

Give me a 10 point landing for a tie breaker, not
longer task times. In the above instance, the guy that
made the time made a 2 point landing, and the guy that
didn't made a 10 point landing. Who won the round? The
guy that made the best decisions in the air. Why?
Because the other guy's landing luck wasn't allowed
negate that.

Flame away - I don't care.  There's a lot of skill
getting into the landing zone consistently, that's a
given. In the game of landing these things, there's
too much luck at 2 points per inch. Yes, the good
pilot group will always win. It's never the same guy
winning by 5 points...the smiling face gets passed
around alot. I would like to eliminate as much of the
luck as possible.

That's my better idea...

Jack Womack