Walter, having just completed my Level 5 last Sat. at age 60, I will tell
you that my first choice glider for 8 hrs of slope was a 100" Big Birdy
(gas bag).  The glider that I actually finished the slope task was my
wife's 2M Spirit.  I did my 2 hr. thermal with a large composite poly
ship that I designed and built.  I intended to use it for XC as well ,
but I wrecked it launching from the grass and expected it to ROG.  It
caught a wing tip and did a tight 300 deg. roll. (ugly wreck).  The R and
R SBXC is the one that I finished the goal and return with, but I have
done a 10K using a scratch built 150" poly gas bag. (it depends on the
day).  As far as TD competition,  it is tough to have THE BEST glider,
because every one seems to have one.
Level 5 didn't seem easier to me with the equipment that I flew.
What gliders would you choose for each task of L5?

Mike Remus
Fort Wayne IN

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 16:36:45 -0700 "gldr guy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:
> Are the LSF tasks the same now as they were back in the
> 70s?  If so, with the exception of the competition requirements,
> would it not be easier today to accomplish those tasks?  When you
> compare the performance of todys stuff verses what was flying then,
> I would think it may be a little easier today(providing the tasks
> have remained the same).
> Walter
> ---
> GG