Thank heavens for guys like Simon, Rob Crockett, Harley, Dr. Drela and others who
continually share their knowledge and designs with the rest of us neophytes!

Rob's design is time tested and even has some pretty pictures:

http://www.ncws.com/rcrock/shepherd.htm

his others are here:

http://www.ncws.com/rcrock/electron.htm

he is even kind enough to teach us rudimentary PCB fabrication:

http://www.ncws.com/rcrock/makepcb.htm

Kevin