> It might be worth building a DLG with a Clark-Y airfoil; I don't think
> anyone's done it so I don't think we can say its that much worse than any
> other foil. (I suspect it will work rather well, especially if there's an
> expert flying it.)
>
> Martin Usher

Martin,

There would be a noticeable drop off in launch height and penetration.  I'd
guess in the neighborhood of 15%.  While it's true that in capable hands it
would be competitive, there are a lot of capable hands that would steer
clear of it.

The difference is most dramatic when the speeds are highest right after
launch.  The Clark Y, especially without a Phillips entry and with a 12%
thickness would be a drag, literally.

The top aerodynamicists in the country don't have to build the DLG to know
that it wouldn't be the best choice.  We would see a Clark Y if Dr. Drela or
Joe or Dr. Selig thought it would work.

It was the venerable choice for the gas bag planes, but they never had to go
80 mph (intentionally).

JE
--
Erickson Architects