I'm astonished that this was such a productive topic on these groups,
but I received a large amount of emails on this topic, and I really
appreciated each and every one of them.  In addition to comments and
opinions, and some excellent reference sites, many people sent me sample
images from the various cameras that I was considering, and these were
very helpful in making an educated and informed decision.

Ultimately my decision was forced on me by an ill-timed and expensive
computer problem. The EOS Rebel with all the gear I needed was $600
cheaper than the Nikon D70. So that's what I went with.

I was really leaning toward the Nikon D70 based on it's phenomenal feel
and speed. But the sample images sent to me by a number of people (boy
did I get a lot of images - thanks guys!), left me a little
disappointed. They weren't quite as crisp as I'm hoping for, and there
was a lot of noise above ISO 800 that I could visually see. Granted,
none of the D70 users I talked to had the very nice pro-level lens with
"Vibration Dampening", so perhaps that $2500 lens would have made a
dramatic difference. But since my budget was already forcing the issue,
I felt pretty comfortable going with the Canon and it's $400 dollar
75-300mm "Image Stabilized" lens, plus the kit lens, a 1GB high-speed CF
card, a bag, spare battery, etc... Did I mention that the EOS now comes
in black (limited edition model), which really helps add a more
professional look to it.

My deliberations about the various cameras are posted here:
http://www.nextstepdesigns.com/blog/2004/11/digital-revolutionor-is-that
-revolt.htm

My final decision is posted in more detail here:
http://www.nextstepdesigns.com/blog/2004/11/digital-resolution.htm

My first photos with this camera are posted here:
http://www.nextstepdesigns.com/blog/2004/11/new-camera-test-photos.htm

Clearly, I have lots to learn with this camera, and I need to get better
at getting sharper images, but for these hand-held shots, I'm pretty
satisfied. Now I just need to get my percentage of keepers somewhere up
above 5% !

Cheers,

Nathan Woods