Sorry but I haven't followed this discussion but only read your conclusion
post. I may have been covered butt...

I see that you talk about applying pressure at the edge of compressive
strength of the material. In Norway, and possible the rest of the world, the
compressive strength is given as short time pressure allowing for 10%
deformation in the material. It is also given a long time pressure allowing
for only 2% deformation. The long-time pressure is approximately 30% of the
short time pressure which often is part of the product name. EPS 150 (kpa)
has a long-time strength of 45kpa. Some deformation in the material is bound
to happen when applying pressure and you are maybe applying sufficient
pressure to show some differences in the material, and local parts that get
larger deformations shows up as worms.

Regarding the lengthwise worms, I suspect this is due to the curvature of
the bagging materials. Try to bend a sheet of paper to an airfoil shape (top
surface) and then try to wrinkle it/bending it in the other direction. The
small difference in bending resistance is the reason you only get lengthwise
worms.

Just my humble opinion. Create some nice wings and go out flying.