Here is Joe's article from Horizon Hobby website.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Explore/Article.aspx?ArticleID=1432

John D

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Wurts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2005 1:13 AM
To: Soaring@airage.com
Subject: [RCSE] Re: Programming tricks help

Jim,

I found that the stock manual that is supplied with the radio did a pretty
good job for me in explaining the "how" of the programming.  From what I can
glean from your email, you are looking for more of the "what" or even the
"why" of how you set up an airplane.

I wrote up my thoughts on programming the 9303 a while ago, and sent it off
to JR.  I've heard that it is available on their website somewhere, but I've
not ever hunted it down.  I'm sure that someone on RCSE will kindly assist
here in locating the URL.  I've done some of what you are talking about,
including the softer throws for the thermal mode (along with up trim),
different aileron to rudder coupling for different flight modes, etc.

One thing that I've gotten away from, is the concept of a separate landing
mode.  I just know that I'll forget to activate the landing mode in the
stress of a difficult flight, so I just don't have a landing mode (I've seen
others that have a separate landing mode get in trouble when they forget to
enable their landing mode before landing).  I have just two switches active
on the Tx, the launch switch, and the three position flight mode switch.
The launch switch institutes the launch mode regardless of where the three
position switch is.  The flight mode switch is active when the launch mode
is not selected, and it has speed, cruise, and thermal modes.

The speed mode has a bit of down trim, little differential, little ail>rud
coupling, along with the 1-2 degrees of reflex (airfoil dependent).  The
cruise mode has the trailing edge in the neutral point, neutral elevator, a
little bit more ail>rud coupling, and a bit more differential in the
ailerons.  The thermal mode has about 3 degrees of camber, lots of ail>rud
coupling, a bit of up elevator preset, and about the same differential as
the speed mode.  Also, I cut the aileron and elevator throws in half for the
thermal mode, which helps me to fly smoother when thermalling.  The low
differential for thermalling is because it is less draggy to use the rudder
than a spoileron for coordinating a roll input.

I have the crow on for all flight modes, as there are times that I'll forget
to be in the proper mode for landing.  One thing, I typically don't have to
worry about being in thermal mode for landing, because the sluggish plane
response in thermal mode is a very positive reminder not to start a landing
approach in thermal mode!  Also, I like having the camber slider active for
landing so that I can slip in some extra camber if I end up needing to get a
little extra float if I accidentally slow the plane down too much on final.

If the air is exceptionally turbulent, or I am doing very low level
thermalling, I'll leave the plane in the cruise mode, but add camber using
the side slider.  Other than that, and in stretching the landing, I use the
flight mode switch to define the camber, and don't bother with using the
side slider.  To me, it is easier to just put a switch in the appropriate
position dependent on what type of air that I'm in, and not have to worry
about adjusting the camber all of the time.

Another item that I do that doesn't seem to be typical, is that I always
have my elevator to camber mixing active.  It is nice to have more lift
capability when I pull some elevator, regardless of which flight mode I'm
in.

Finally, the launch mode has full span camber, typically about 12 to 15
degrees of camber.  The differential is set to between 80 and 90%, with as
much ail>rud mix as possible.  The large differential is because the
trailing edge is already set to produce the maximum amount of lift out of
the wing.  If more downward deflection would produce more lift, then I'd put
it in the preset (an oversimplification, but should get the concept across).

BTW, I put in the speed/thermal amount of aileron differential in via end
point adjustments, and use the differential function to put in the required
differential for cruise and launch.

One can typically do the above setup methodology on the 9303 with the stock
supplied mixes, and you do not have to use any extra free mixes.  This is
nice because it makes it easier to hunt down the appropriate menu to make
changes.

Joe Wurts