Hey...
You missed the best one!!! The VW Vangon!!!  Room for many, many planes and
sleeping beside. Gas stove and frig. Great mileage, clearance, fast - 75 with
ease. Cool beside - this is my fifth - has 284K on it = goes back almost to the
microbus - even one psycodelic paint job.

wy cooler than the ones you listed

cheers
Jim
On Mon, 02 May 2005 10:22:16 +0000, Jim Laurel wrote:

> So, the discussion about the suitability of Corvettes for hauling
> sailplanes got me to thinking more about my next choice of vehicle.  It
> should have the following attributes:
>
> 1) Space to haul 2 unlimited planes and a 2 meter plane + winch,
> toolbox, 1 Optima battery, turnaround, radio cases + at least 1,
> preferably 2 passengers
> 2) Fast and comfortable for those long hauls to away contests
> 3) Reasonable fuel economy (20-21mpg highway minimum)
> 4) All wheel drive, since here in Washington the passes are often a
> mess, roads are often wet, and I like to ski after work in the winter.
> 5) Decent driving dynamics
> 6) Enough clearance to travel forest service roads to slope sites
> 7) NOT a minivan
>
> Here's my short list:
> --Volvo XC70
> --Audi A6 Avant
> --Audi S4 Avant (not sure if long enough)
> --Dodge (Mercedes) short wheelbase Sprinter (no AWD yet, but likely for
> 2007 model year)
> --Subaru whatchamacallit wagon
>
> I have an old Land Rover 110 that has been a project vehicle for 2
> years and is now nearing completion.  Size-wise, it's about perfect,
> but it is slow, lumbering, and eats high octane petrol like there's no
> tomorrow (curse the DOT and EPA for not getting us decent diesel fuel
> sooner; I'd love to have a nice 300 Tdi rather than the V8).  Plus, the
> HVAC system is useless - pretty much windows up or down.  In the plus
> column, however, it will get you to any slope site you like and then
> some.  It's also got a rooftop tent, which might be nice for those
> 2-day contests.
>
> Let's hear some suggestions!
>
> --Jim Laurel

"unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please note that
subscribe and unsubscribe messages must be sent in text only format with MIME
turned off.  Email sent from web based email such as Hotmail and AOL are
generally NOT in text format

Jim Ealy
Education by Demonstration