Excuse me if I am not following protocol.  I am venturing into a new
listserve.  I am venturing into r/c flying.  I'm a Navy pilot.  Fly
privately, am a tow pilot and have soloed a glider.  The big stuff is
great but I would love to learn to fly a r/c glider among the crows in
my backyard.  Any suggestions?  I've thought of the rtf products as an
introduction but then I may be stuck with tx and receivers that aren't
compatible with more advanced aircraft.  I'd like to do some field
flights with launch but also want to park fly in my backyard.  Any
suggestions on how to proceed?

Hi Mike,
For backyard flying, an electric powered glider is the way to go. Get
something with a wingspan in the 1.5 to 1.8 meter range. Northeast
Sailplanes has a couple of nice gliders, including the Omega 1.5 and the
Omega 1.8. Another nice little electric powered soarer is the Ascent, which
may be available in your local hobby shop.

I would advise against larger electric powered gliders (they require more
room) and I would avoid a glider that has ailerons (more
complicated/expensive and for a beginner they are not really needed).

Whatever route you choose, by all means get some help from an experienced
flyer, preferably one that has experience flying sailplanes for they
understand something about the location of and flying in a thermal.

Good luck with your venture; with the right equipment and the help of an
experienced glider pilot you can have a lot of fun soaring with the
crows/hawks/sea gulls or whatever frequents your area. If you have further
questions, feel free to ask; and don't be concerned about any 'protocol'. :)

Regards,
Bob Johnson
Fond du Lac, WI