Here is a message from Dave Brown regarding an assistance program for AMA victims in the Gulf Coast region.

Darwin N. Barrie
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Darwin N Barrie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2005 11:30 PM
Subject: Hurricane Katrina and AMA Response

AMA Members Helping Members

As the tragic events along the Gulf Coast unfold,
it has become painfully apparent that the number
of refugees from Hurricane Katrina is enormous.
It is not unreasonable to estimate that there
will be half a million or more homeless Americans
for many months to come.

Among them, unfortunately, are an unknown number
of AMA members. Based on the information at hand,
we at AMA estimate that as many as 1,500 members
could be in dire need of help. These are areas in
which the U.S. Postal Service has suspended
service because its facilities have been severely
damaged or even obliterated by the storm. While
many Federal and State agencies are doing all
that they can, the magnitude of this disaster
means that we all need to do our part.

AMA is establishing a program to try to help
those members in need by matching them with
someone who can help. If youre in a position to
provide temporary shelter, assist with
transportation needs, or just help a fellow
modeler find his or her way back to a normal
life, call our toll-free Hurricane Katrina
Modeler Assistance Hotline at (866) 286-3302.
Our staff will take your name and some key
information and try to match you with someone
in need.

Many of us have an extra room, perhaps a spare
car, or some other piece of equipment thats
sitting around and could be put to good use
during this time of unbelievable tragedy. I have
volunteered space in my own home to assist this
effort and I hope many of you will consider
doing the same.

You can also register by going directly to AMAs
Web site at
http://www.modelaircraft.org/katrina/?section=register
and completing a simple form. Thats all it takes.
Its only a simple telephone call or Web site
registration, yet that simple act can have a
dramatic impact on someones life during this
critical period.

Aeromodelers are a brotherhood, and many of our
brothers need your help. Lets all pitch in and
help these people who have suffered an
unbelievable loss get back on their feet as
quickly as possible. Its the right thing to do
and it is something we can all do to aid the
recovery process.

If you are a member who has been displaced by
this disaster, or know a member who is in need
of this type of help, you can use the same
toll-free number to request help.  AMA and your
fellow members are standing by, anxious, and
willing to help.

Remember(866) 286-3302 or use our Web site at
http://www.modelaircraft.org/katrina/?section=register
to volunteer assistance.

If you happen to be reading this and you need help,
you can go to our Web site at
http://www.modelaircraft.org/katrina/?section=request
to make your request.

Dave Brown