Ive hit my F3J full carbon Pike very hard in a breeze during launch and have yet to experience any control surface flutter. I dont go really deep "into the bucket" on zoom though, especially in wind. Not because of the wing flutter issue Phil experienced, but because it seems to me a short quick zoom/ping off the line always results in higher launches for me. Ride that zoom deep into the bucket and perhaps youve lost much of that stored line energy? Plus you may just flutter your wing off. Just my stupid opinion.
Walter
----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Barnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Soaring Exchange" <soaring@airage.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 6:03 AM
Subject: Re: [RCSE] What are you doing to kill 5125/168 servos?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Watson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

what are you guys doing to kill the flat wing servos?

Ford Long shaft winch, strong winch battery, short (<600ft?) 240 lb test braided winch line, no retriever, bit of a breeze. All of that in combination with an agressive (even abusive), unpracticed launch style that generally involved diving too deeply on the zoom and most importantly a model with very heavy ailerons that had a strong tendency to flutter.

Just ask anybody that attended last June's LISF (Long Island Silent Flyers) contest. They will tell you what a Pike Superior SL sounds like when the ailerons are fluttering so violently that the entire wing is twisting to very odd angles. This happened repeatedly even after switching to DS368 servos. The HS5125s stripped on the first launch. The DS368s survived a few of those launches although the lighter servo arms did not survive, the servo mounts did not survive and finally, after going beefy on the servo arms and on the servo mountings, the control horns in the ailerons ripped out. I kept trying to beef up the aileron servos and mountings because I was stuck on Long island with only the Pike to fly and it was my mind-set that molded models were "buy and fly" and the Pike was an F3J model that should be able to handle any launch you can give it.

It isn't pulling hard on launch that strips the gears. With the Pike Superior SL it is the going really fast that does the trick. The biggest problem on that particular model seamed to be that the ailerons were really heavy which is bad from a flutter perspective. David Hobby (current F3J world champion and Pike flyer) suggested using longer horns on the ailerons. I never tried that since I sold the model first.

Phil