Hello:
As you will hear from others, lead fumes are really bad news. If you must, do it
only outdoors and that is not fair to your neighbors, etc.

A much better way to do this if you must, is to take a piece of brass or
aluminum tubing the same size as the stick of butter you want. Fill the tube
with the very smallest sized lead shot (#9 bird shot) you can buy at a hunting
store - 25 pound bags: ca. $13- $18. Place a thick layer of 5 min epoxy on one
end. Let it set up, turn the tube over and place a another layer of epoxy on
the other end. You can latter remove (or add) some of the shot by drilling a
hole in the side of the tube to let it "drain" out into a container. Close with
tape.

There are other metals that can be uses, tungsten for one, but more expensive
than lead.

I've used this method for nose weight, fill the nose with the amount of lead
shot you need, coat with a thick layer of epoxy, STOPS any harmful vapors.
Drill a hole for changing amount, close hole with 1/4 inch button nylon bolt.
regards,
Jim