I have been experimenting with my MacBook Air with Virtualbox 3.2 installed.

I have discovered a neat way to answer http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/598:
Another suggestion: Put the individual Student's Virtual Machine Appliance on a their USB stick and open it from the Mac or Windoz machine running VMplayer or Virtualbox.( Note that USB sticks are about 10x slower than HD install.) Then the student can open it on any machine at home or school. Plus the Appliance can be copied (or exported in Latest Virtualbox) from the stick for a backup.
Please look at:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Mac_OS_X-Boot_USB_with_Virtualbox#Running_Soas_files_on_a_2nd_USB_in_Virtualbox_3.2_installed_on_the_MacBook_Air

This wiki page also investigates making a 4 GB live USB of F14-desktop-live with Virtualbox3.2 pre installed, that runs various students Soas files from a personalized 2nd USB.

Enjoy;

Tom Gilliard
satellit on IRC freenode #sugar