On Wed, 2015-09-09 at 12:46 +1100, David Leeming wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well my old Toshiba laptop for instance, a Qosmio i7, a few years old but was
> a $2000 laptop when new. On this I can't boot and run SOAS. It never
> completes booting, you go through the name, colour, gender, school grade but
> then it just shows the blank screen with only the mouse cursor screen never
> getting as far as the Sugar Home View..
>
> Tested on a few of these - Lenovo Q190 desktop computer - using the 32 bit or
> 64 bit version that worked (can't remember but we tried both), it boots OK
> but freezes after starting a few activities. Could that be the activity
> rather than the OS?
>
> As I said, on a very old Asus EEE PC 1005H model, it works very reliably
> every time.
>
> Could it be the LinuxLive USB Creator installer that is to blame?

Hi David,

Quite possibly. LiLi was drawn to your attention because of apparent
specific hardware issue in your OP. From the information you give, I am
not certain which issues are due to "intermediaries" :)

In testing a bunch of [older] hardware, this is what I would do.

Get a [32 bit] SoaS image.

Easier for others/collaborators with no Sugar experience, a (same
version, F22 today) Fedora XFCE image. Burn the images to CD.

To test machines with no CD, I would dd the image to a USB stick.

Try to boot each machine from SoaS Live CD (or dd USB), and report any
fails.

And/or, try to boot Fedora XFCE Live CD, and test sound and video. This
should identify the machines which are Linux friendly.

There is also a Red Hat Hardware Compatibility List, which I previously
found reliable.

As mentioned previously, don't expect collaboration to work on current
Fedora without expert intervention.

Regards,

Iain