Trying to set-up an Orinoco Gold card in a Dell laptop running Red Hat
8.0, stock kernel. It works most of the time on networks accepting any
ESSID and without WEP, but my own network does use that feature. If I
manually run commands,

  iwconfig eth0 key aabb-ccdd-ee
  iwconfig essid mynet

the card runs fine. But it won't take those parameters during start-up,
so many of the start-up scripts have to timeout, and that is painful.
I've added a stanza to /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts like this:

  mynet,*,*,*)
    ESSID="mynet"
    KEY="aabb-ccdd-ee"
    MODE="Ad-Hoc"
    ;;

and I've changed /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia to include the line,

  SCHEME=mynet

Still, these parameters are not processed during boot or during a
"service network restart" or "service pcmcia restart" command. The
command, "cardctl scheme mynet", reports that the scheme was already set.

Anybody care to suggest what I might be doing wrong? Thanks.
--
Dave Close, Compata, Costa Mesa CA  "You can't go to Windows Update
[EMAIL PROTECTED], +1 714 434 7359    and get a patch for stupidity."