This is the agenda for the next two meetings of Social Computing.

** UPCOMING MEETINGS **

~~~~~~

2/13 Double feature: Network analysis and visualization AND Managing your
research like a boss:

Brooks Ambrose will discuss his experiences studying network clustering,
cohesion, and visualization. He will present his work in progress working
with citation network data in R. He asks: can I parallelize my code if I
use I Python? With what tools should I implement my novel ideas for
visualizing network data on the web? (30 minutes)

Discussion and coworking (30 minutes)

Sebastian Benthall will discuss "Managing your research project like a
boss." He will present how he has organized the technical part of his
dissertation as an open source project, BigBang, and how that has opened up
opportunities for collaboration with other grad students and attracted
undergraduate apprentices. Will present strategies for project management
with GitHub and project promotion. We'll also discuss the challenges of
adapting software project management best practices to an academic setting.
(30 minutes)

Discussion and coworking (30 minutes)

~~~~~~

2/27 -- Life cycle of a text analysis project

Rochelle Terman will present on the life cycle of a text analysis project
in the context of her dissertation on human rights shaming. She will
discuss web scraping, preprocessing, and visualization, and cover myriad
techniques such as topic modeling, clustering, and named entity
recognition. (2 hours)