From: rachel slaybaugh <slayba...@berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 2:54 PM
Subject: request for volunteers for a short workshop; social scientists
wanted
To: ucb hacker within <ucb-hacker-wit...@lists.berkeley.edu>

Hello,

*When*: July 1 and 2, 13:00-15:00

*Where*: 9 Durant Hall

*What:* A workshop for students from the McNair Scholars program
<http://mcnairscholars.com/> (URMs being coached as undergrads to
successfully navigate graduate school) about basic computing and data
processing techniques.

*Topics*: the shell, Python basics, data handling with Python.

*The ask*: I really only need 1 or 2 volunteers since the group of students
will be pretty small. Most of them are doing social science, so it would be
wonderful to have volunteers who study some aspect of social science.

*More info*: These students are all doing summer projects that require
gathering and processing data and turning what they learn into a report.
They basically have no computing skills and would benefit immensely from a
workshop of this sort. .

Thank you!
Rachel

Department of Nuclear Engineering