For domestic spending, no, it doesn't ever have to. It
only has to compensate for an excess in effective
demand. The example of the movie theatre that can
seat 100 and that we have printed out 80 tickets for
is exactly right: as long as we do not print out 21
extra tickets, there is not a problem.
------------------------------

The question becomes:  Assuming perfection is unattainable, is it better to print out
21 or 19 tickets?

To carry the ticket metaphor a bit further, airlines routinely overbook.  They do that
to increase the odds of filling all the seats.  They have mechanisms in place to deal
with the awkward situation when too many passengers show up.

Which brings us to the concept of the nairu, which I would say, as a general
explanation, is an utter and complete fallacy.

Yet throughout history there are many examples of uncontrollable, accelerating
inflation.

How do we explain them?