Keith Wilde wrote:
> The point I wish to make here is that Wells attempted to conform his social
> philosophy to a "realistic" view of human nature, to a perspective of
> humankind as a product of biological evolution rather than as a fallen race
> of angels. What I am wary of when I hear that Social Credit is a "Christian"
> philosophy is that it may embrace the latter idea with a concomitant view of
> human perfectibility.
>
> As I read the following summary by Curtiss, it does not embrace this
> interpretation of Wells which, I believe, clearly demarcates him (Wells)
> from Douglas' attitudes.

Dear Keith,

It is a pleasure to discuss Wells with you.

Soon, but not now, I'll unearth Work, Wealth and Happiness
and give it its due.  (many boxes in the attic :)

Yes, the Outline of History was first serialized, and I have
a set here, too.

***

I pulled out (above) what I thought was the heart of the
matter.

[you also talked about Wells "journey" and, in particular,
how his last works turned sour.  Let me commend an
earlier (1906) utopian short story -- "In the Days of the
Comet" -- it can be had here for $12 plus ship --

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=Wells+comet&userid=51HHYPRRNK

[rejoin if link gets broken]

In this story Wells has the gases of the comet, brushing
the earth, transforming mankind, removing hate, etc.
It is perhaps Wells at his highest level of optimism for
"the future" -- despite omenous German ironclads seen
off shore (imagine, this was written eight years before
WWI).

]

Wells, as you note, does have a "realistic view" of
human nature.  He understood the "political process"
but also saw it to be corrupt, too.

He was always a strong proponent for a world government --
and, perhaps, the UN comes closest to that dream.

Regards,

Curtiss

P.S.  I have about 30 of his novels/stories in digital
format.  They range in size from 200K for the Time Machine
and 800K for Tono Bungay.  If anyone is interested I'll
e-mail one to you:

Ann Veronica - A Modern Love story
God The Invisible King
Secret Places of the Heart
Soul of a Bishop
The Door in the Wall - and Other Stories
The First Men In The Moon
The Island of Doctor Moreau
The New Machiavelli
The Research Magnificent
The Time Machine
The War in the Air
The War of the Worlds
The World Set Free
Tono Bungay
Twelve Stories and a Dream
War and the future - Italy  France and Britain at war
Wheels of Chance - a Bicycling Idyll
When the Sleeper Wakes

--

           W. Curtiss Priest, Director, CITS
        Research Affiliate, Culture & Media, MIT