Thanks, Victor, this is what I hoped the answer would be.  That is, it is one that I can comprehend.  It fits with my earlier point that individual persons occupy several different roles in a socioeconomic system, and that it is useful to distinguish among them.

Keith
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 10:52 PM
Subject: Re: [SOCIAL CREDIT] population

" I rather doubt that Douglas maintained that a better financial system would permit consumers (I'm looking ahead to Victor's comments here) to take charge of production and design a perfect engine."

Vic B - A better way of putting this would be that if the flawed financial accounting system was corrected to reflect reality and thus provide consumers with an effective demand in the market place, the very existence of the effective demand would enable consumers to choose or refuse. In other words they would have the ability to make an effective demand for the goods they choose to purchase or refuse to purchase. In this way they would be dictating to producers what they wanted. They would not take charge of production as in being control of the factory but in control of what production was required.

There is no question of wanting to "design a perfect engine".
Vic B