Bill,

I am not sure to whom this posting is directed.
------------------------

It was in reply to Joe.
--

I have never said that Douglas stated that interest
or bank financing should be abolished. My posting the

True
--

(b) That banks did create money out of nothing
------------------------

Which means merely that it is a matter of contract
rather than for example mining and smelting something
tangible from the ground and coining it.
--

(c) The when that new money is created the banks
claim it as their own,

A matter of philosophy that we seek to change.
--

(d) That when it is lent it creates a debt
------------------------

>From the borrower to the banker.  It also creates a
debt from the banker to the depositor whomever that
might ultimately be.
--

(e) That the only way interest can be repaid to the
bank is for it to come from the same source - the

It's also the only way that principal can be repaid.
The money received by the recipient of the money
borrowed from the banker is already on its way back
to the bank, so is not available to repay the
principal of the borrower without further borrowing
by others in the economy.

The false inference is that money must be borrowed to
pay interest and not other purposes--such as
continuing operations, so that debt compounds because
of interest.  Debt does compound but it compounds
because of labor displacement that can be
accommodated through consciously applied accounting
adjustment--not possible now because of the lack of a
national capital or credit account.

Interest is merely the allocation of profit between
banks and other firms when looking at the economy as
a whole.  Profit is not a tangible thing but the
function of the rules of accounting.  It is
meaningful--like the score at a football game is
meaningful--but not a tangible thing, as would be the
case if M -> C -> M'; profit = M' - M.  The fact is
that in terms of cash flow (which are rates), M is
normally greater than M', not less than M', yet firms
in the aggregate book profit continuously--which is
exactly opposite to what seems must be intuitively
true.  It comes down to how credit is counted through
time.

The process is poorly understood by economists and
accountants both.  I am convinced that Douglas
grasped it almost completely.