***] The cash comes into general circulation when the
Reserve Bank buys government stock from the
government [***

Does it purchase directly from government or
indirectly through the so-called "open market" as in
the United States?  That creates a "rake off" to Wall
Street that is effectively interest paid even though
it rebates what interest it earns on the securities
it holds in its portfolio to the Treasury.  It also
means that the Fed not the Treasury calls the shots
regarding monetary policy.  If the SA bank purchases
directly from government, does it purchase what it
wants to purchase, or does the government sell it
what it wants to sell?  It comes down to who is
actually in control and what institution is the real
government for things more significant than deciding
which potholes to fill.

The question to Keith relates strictly to the
currency.  Certain people (COMER etc.) allege that in
Canada the currency component of M0 is not bank
credit but Treasury credit spent into circulation by
government.  In the United States the currency is
merely token for central bank credit that is lent
(through the purchase of securities) not spent into
circulation.