The Georgist movement is a curious phenomenon.  Here,
it comes out of the blue with the publication of a
book in 1879, the very year of the "crime of 79" in
Greenbacker lore, during a time of intense public
debate on the "money question," and ascendancy of the
Populists and various Populist political parties
which actually took control of several state
governments, or control of the dominant party
(Democrats) as in Texas--where was the popular base
of support for the Georgists, and in particular,
where did the money come from to finance their
activities?  So far as I know, no Georgist party
ever came to power anywhere except perhaps in a few
municipalities.  Where did the money come from in the
late Nineteenth and early Twentieth centuries that is
the source of the huge endowments that residually
fund their activities today? [see note below]

Ed, I do have an hypothesis, perhaps you will
comment.  You might say it is a conspiracy theory.

The funding came covertly from the declared enemies
of the Greenbackers and Populists.

What do you say?

Note:  In a recent discussion an interlocutor of mine
asked:

"But my question is why they were popular and with
what class of deep pocketed people? Surely not
land speculators.  Industrialists, maybe, trying to
divert taxes from themselves?  Not railroads. Miners
and oil barons? Shipbuilders? Merchants? Farmers and
cattlemen?  Who was Robert Schalkenbach?"