2.  In physics, Quantum Mechanics is the product of
'relating the elements statistically against time' -
yet, according to Paul Davies, "quantum cosmology ...
makes no reference at all to time ... time has
totally vanished!" ('About Time', Penguin Books,
1995, p. 180)

This would seem to falsify the proposition that
"time" is of the essence in "the scientific
approach."
------------------------------

Time may have indeed vanished in contemporary quantum
theory, as it did in the economists' "general
equilibrium."  But remember that Einstein was one of
the pioneers of the theory, and he said God doesn't
play dice with the universe.  I am inclined to agree
with Einstein's statement.

Contemporary quantum theory, as I understand it, is
purely a statistical theory based on concepts of
probability, that we can predict the probable
position or state of a particle (but not its position
or state definitely).  So I'm not sure Davies is
correct in saying time has vanished from their
calculations.  It may have; their stuff is quite
obtuse and obscure, and seems - to me at any rate -
to have largely departed science into the domain of
metaphysics and pure speculation.

To say that because we cannot predict that a specific
particle is here or there or in this state or that,
and leap from that to saying we cannot say definitely
that a man cannot walk through a brick wall and
somewhere in this universe or some other universe it
will happen or may have already happened - is
farcical, and represents a quantum leap into illogic.

Remember that statistics is the study of the
concatenation of phenomena through time.  We do that
through sampling, which means we are dealing with
probability that our sample is large enough to make
generalizations that are meaningful.  Even then they
are mere generalizations that say nothing about
individual behavior.