Brief comments inserted:
--

Date:   Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:19:36 +0800
From:   Pat Gunning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:        Re: [SOCIAL CREDIT] farewell

Thanks, Bill. That is what I needed to hear. Of
course, I said nothing about a money multiplier.
------------------------------
[Insert] You did not.  I should have deleted that
sentence before I hit the "send" button.
--

What I said was clear and I said it more than once on
the list. The Federal Reserve System (Fed) -- that

By this power it can and does control money creation
by the member banks.
------------------------------
[Insert] Only in the sense of the "concertmaster"
that I described.  Bank credit is the creation of the
banking system including member banks and central
bank acting in concert presumably in cooperation with
the public.
--

So far as I know, you are the only person claiming to
be an economist who has denied this.

The Fed is not chosen by the banks as a clearing
bank, although it has occasionally acted as if it
was. It was a creation of the Federal Reserve Act of
1913, which was passed by the legislature. The act
was most likely the outcome of rent-seeking by some
of the larger banks at the time.
------------------------------
[Insert] The Federal Reserve Act was the product of
intense debate and power politics throughout the
latter half of the nineteenth century and the early
twentieth century.  To describe it as merely the
result of "rent seeking" by some of the "larger
banks" is rather shallow.
--

Nevertheless, it created a power to regulate which
has evolved into the current system in which the

In this message, you deny that the ruling Board of
Directors does or can effectively regulate the bank
money creation. To me, that is like denying that the
U.S. Internal Revenue Service can effectively impose
an income tax.
------------------------------
[Insert] It can impose a tax but controlling the
amount it actually collects is an entirely different
matter.
--

Moreover, your talk about upper and lower limits
obfuscates.

You did not directly answer the question.
------------------------------
[Insert] I thought I did.

This gives readers the impression that you agree with
those on the list who apparently don't recognize that
the Federal Reserve Board can and does limit money
creation by banks.
------------------------------
[Insert] I never said that the Fed can't "limit"
money creation.  I was addressing an entirely
different point.
--

Although this may seem like a legitimate debating tactic to you, I am not interested in debate for the sake of debate. ------------------------------ [Insert] Neither am I. --

Your claim is far away from the truth and your
obfuscation merely makes the task of education
------------------------------
[Insert] The better word is "indoctrination."
--

, a very hard one at best, more difficult. Further
discussion on any issue related to money and

Since the main practical argument against the "social
creditors" is that their program to subsidize
retailers with newly created money is inflationary
[Insert] Not if income is falling in respect to the
costs of production.
--

and since you are apparently the economic adviser to
most of those who hold the erroneous view to the