Hi Voipcrazy,

On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 18:05 +0100, voip crazy wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> Five days ago, I started to try boot my soekris, vía PXE, without
> success, my soekris get an IP address and It stop to boot.
> I do not know why It is doing that, I search google, and find some
> links but all of them fails to boot.
> I want to install Debian on it an my soekris is 5501 model.
>
> http://roland.entierement.nu/pages/debian-on-soekris-howto.html
>
> Someone, could send me the TFTP files you use to boot a debian
> instalation?
> Or explain me where to get the Debian netboot.tar.gz, to boot the
> soekris 5501?

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/

Select the right distrib dir of course.. You'll also need the matching
pxelinux.0 sitting next to it. I've run it succesfully as follows:

# mkdir /tftpboot
# tar xzvpf netboot.tar.gz
# mv debian-installer/i386/* /tftpboot

I run tftpd-hpa as a standalone daemon:
#/etc/default/tftpd-hpa
#Defaults for tftpd-hpa
RUN_DAEMON="yes"
#OPTIONS="-l -s /var/lib/tftpboot"
OPTIONS="-l -s /tftpboot"

You may have to add an entry to /etc/hosts.allow:
# /etc/hosts.allow
in.tftpd: LOCAL 192.168.1. : allow

Or something similar...

I never managed to get it work through inetd with Ubuntu/Debian
GNU/Linux. Of course no-one will stop you from running it
from /var/lib/tftpboot, but I don't like having persistent files
under /var (while many others abhor having non-FSSTND stuff inside "/" -
whatever..).

My PXE config looks like this:
# /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default
SERIAL 0 19200 0
DISPLAY boot.txt
DEFAULT linux
LABEL linux
        kernel linux
        append vga=normal initrd=initrd.gz console=ttyS0,19200n8
ramdisk_size=14332 root=/dev/rd/0 rw  --
PROMPT 1
TIMEOUT 0

Common trouble:
- missing hosts.allow entry (I'm not sure if a standalone tftpd
  actually requires one, but it's always safe)
- there is any firewall running on the TFTP server blocking TFTP
- wrong "next-server" in dhcpd.conf
- files under /tftpboot aren't world-readable (0644 root.root)
  (on Debian, 'tftpd' runs as user "nobody" I think).

That should get you going.

Bill