Hi Hansen,

try this:

# apt-get install cu
# chown uucp /dev/ttyS0
# cu -l /dev/ttyS0 -s 19200

You can probably imagine that the values for the local serial port
(/dev/ttyS0) and the transfer rate (19200) are just examples. You will
also probably have to run the chown command after each reboot on Ubuntu.
The penalty for not doing so will be:

cu: open (/dev/ttyS0): Permission denied
cu: /dev/ttyS0: Line in use

The advantage of using cu(1) is that you can rule out various quirks and
omissions in the configuration of high-level programs like minicom
themselves. It's only when you need to use stty(1) for changing terminal
settings that you might want to go back to one of those UI programs, but
the standard terminal settings on Ubuntu should be quite reasonable in
most cases.

Please send the terminal output if this still doesn't work. You can
capture cu's output by simple shell redirection:

# cu -l /dev/ttyS0 -s 19200 | tee soekris.out

There are more fancy ways to do this, but they're not much more
practical. Try removing the control characters inserted by the shell (^M
etc) before you paste the input file's contents into your message. Look
here for directions on how to do this in vi[m]:

http://todayslearnings.blogspot.com/2009/02/remove-control-m-chars-in-unix-by-using.html

Please don't be offended if that's something you've done a thousand
times before, it's just that you're not giving a lot of details, so I
can't tell from here.

Another thing you could try is to use a strict 3-wire null-modem cable
without any non-standard connections between the pins on the same
connector. I had trouble with an off-the-shelf "null-modem cable for
STB's" which turned out to be wired up in mysterious ways, and caused
the RTS/CTS hardware flow control lines to lock up the connection.

Bill