On 28 Oct 2009, Emmanuel Florac told this:

> Le Tue, 27 Oct 2009 16:24:03 -0500 vous écriviez:
>
>> On a smaller device, such as a Soekris, you are probably better off
>> with a hardware RAID controller, as long as it's a good one.
>
> Building big raid systems is my everyday job; a couple of years ago I
> still managed to get 200MB/s from a 450Mhz PIII with 256 MB RAM, which
> my most measures should be slower than the Soekris :)

In any case, with two disks you're going to be talking RAID-1, in which
your constraint will be bus saturation: and with two disks the bus will
be nowhere near saturated. Your constraint will be the disks themselves.

(I've done RAID-6 to a degraded six-disk array --- which is pretty much
the worst case CPU-usage wise --- with a 600MHz PIII, and at peak write
it was using about 15% of the CPU, with Linux md. It takes a really
crappy CPU these days before the CPU is the bottleneck. It's bus
saturation that RAID controllers are good at stopping...)