On 2011-06-12, Christopher R. Hertel <c...@ubiqx.mn.org> wrote:
> There are four-port (actually 5-port) switches on PCI cards out there.
>
> These cards provide 10/100/1000 switching between all five ports, but one of
> the ports is wired internally to the PCI bus and makes the device look like
> a regular Ethernet card.
>
> I have no idea if any such card would work in a Soekris system.  I just know
> they're out there.
>
> The only advantage of using such a card with a Soekris, however, is that you
> could get one with all five interfaces running at 1Gbps.  As has been
> discussed on this list previously, that might not actually be a good thing.

The other advantage of these cards is that typically they're vlan-
capable and, in some OS, can be programmed by the machine.

> The cheaper and probably better solution would be to get an inexpensive
> five-port GigE switch and connect the first port to the Soekris.

There are cheap vlan-capable small switches (there's a routerboard
one, for example, with some interesting features like vlan tag
translation and rate limiting) but typically these must be
configured by a web interface.