Hi,

Where can I find some background on the boot drive sequence in the
comBIOS monitor, in particular with regard to USB booting?

This is mostly out of curiousity, trying to figure out what is going on
(and perhaps learning a thing or two in the process).

I just purchased a Soekris net6501, and successfully booted it with a
bootable USB stick with FreeBSD. I used this to install FreeBSD 8 on the
SSD that I bought along with the net6501.

Since I am no expert in headless booting, FreeBSD nor Soekris, it took
some time to figuring it all out, but once everything worked it was a
real breeze (If it is deemed useful, I'm happy to post a how-to later.)

My main OS is on the SSD, and I like to keep the USB stick as a rescue disk.

It seems that "boot 80" will boot from my SSD, and "boot 81" will boot
from the USB disk.

0x81 is explicitly specified during the boot sequence:

comBIOS ver. 1.41a  20111203  Copyright (C) 2000-2011 Soekris Engineering.

net6501

1024 Mbyte Memory                        CPU Atom E6xx 1000 Mhz

SATA AHCI BIOS ver. 0.6 20110902  Copyright (C) 2003-2011 Intel Corporation

Controller Bus#02, Device#06, Function#00: 02 Ports, 01 Devices
  Port-00: Hard Disk, TS16GMSA300
  Port-01: No device detected

Soekris USB Expansion ROM ver. 1.01  20111203

81: USB 01  SanDisk Cruzer Fit      Xlt 969-128-63  3910 Mbyte

If I add a 8 GB Imation USB stick to the external USB port (JP3), this
changes to:

81: USB 01                          Xlt -2-32   Mbyte
82: USB 02  SanDisk Cruzer Fit      Xlt 969-128-63  3910 Mbyte

>From a 2007 post,
http://lists.soekris.com/pipermail/soekris-tech/2007-February/011543.html:

The boot sequence can be set with the BootDriver parameter:
BootDrive = 80 81 F0 FF

  0x80 = master drive
  0x81 = slave drive
  0xF0 = PXE boot
  0xFF = stop and go to comBIOS prompt

However, from this info I would have expected 0x80 to be the mSATA port
0, and 0x81 the mSATA port 1.

A small question and comment:

1. What if I had a second mSATA SSD, how would I specify that disk? As
0x81? Would the USB boot numbers in that case change to 0x82 and 0x83?

2. A small suggestion for the BIOS: would it be possible to add the "80"
in front of the mSATA drive, just like "81: " an "82: " are appended to
USB disks? Now it says "Port-00: ", which I find less useful.

Regards,
Freek